Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What's in bloom now

I was gathering some flowers from the garden the other day for a show and tell at a local Retirement home and was quite surprised by the number of different types of flowers that I was able to collect. There were several different bulbs in flower, scilla, chionodoxa, tulips that included a species tulip (Tarda), and at least 6 different types of daffodils that included two multi-stemmed narcissus(Thalia and Tete a tete). Are your daffodils expanding as quickly as mine? Last year, I divided several clumps giving many away - over 100 bulbs in each clump. This year the bulbs that I left in the clump seem to have expanded again to the extent that the clump needs dividing again.

I also found several groundcover type plants (lamium, aubretia, arabis, sweet woodruff and phlox). There were also a few of the flowers that we all find in our gardens such as the Forget-me-nots, the violas and even a dandelion. Close to the house, the first anemone of the season had bloomed and it joined the rest.

Next to the retirement home, there were a couple of trees in bloom that I took samples of too. The worst smelling example was a cutting from an ornamental pear while the most fragrant was a toss-up between the Sweet Woodruff and some of the Narcissi.

What do you have blooming at this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment