Tuesday, May 19, 2009

emigration

Do you ever think that maybe nature has it right and we don't really have a clue what we are doing in this gardening thing?

I have been working for years to have the perennial border just perfect - no grass, no weeds and everything just bloomin perfect. Likewise the lawn that I try to keep weed free. But no matter how hard I try, the grass seems to prefer the good soil in the perennial beds and some perennials try to move into areas that have been dedicated to lawn. In weaker moments, I have thought that maybe I should convert the perennial borders to grass and the lawn to perennial borders. The resulting plan would look rather peculiar don't you think.

Then I think about what it is that is attractive to grass and what plants seem to prefer the open spaces of the lawn. We add compost to the perennial border every year to improve the soil - maybe we should be doing likewise for the lawn. Just a light top-dressing of compost will do wonders for the soil and should make that lawn better.

The plants that I have that seem to like to move to the lawn area are plants that seem to be able to handle any kind of soil - shasta daisies, rose mallow, sorrel and some ground covers. Some of these I understand as they can handle most any kind of soil and do well in full sun. Sorrel however, likes a rich moist soil but can do well in full sun.

I think maybe if I pay a little more attention to the needs of my plants they'll do better where they are but then again plants will tend to wander and I will always be working to keep the little lawn I have rich and beautiful and the perennial borders flowering and attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment