Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tall Bearded Iris


Yesterday, when I went out into the garden, the one remaining Tall Iris that I have was in bloom. We once had a number of different varieties but an infestation of Iris borer decimated our collection. Now we still have the early Iris reticulata,several stands of a dwarf iris and the tall white Iris that made it through the infestation. Oh yes, we also have a flag iris in the pond.

I think enough years have gone by for me to again try some other varieties. The one that made it through the infestation is a pretty white repeat bloome that I believe was called Immortality - good name given my experience with the borer. It is described as a "reblooming wonder" that "flowers heavily in the regular iris season and then again in late summer" (from the Cruickshanks catalogue Summer 1993). It has indeed lived up to its billing.

Other varieties that we purchased from Cruickshanks include Breakers ("bluest of blues"), Pink Capers ("perfect pink") and I believe, Thriller (wine coloured) - how I miss Cruickshanks although GardenImports has filled the gap quite well.

In addition to some of the really attractive colours that are available, I quite want to try some of the borderline hardy varieties for this area. I find Irises really attractive and they fill that little gap in time between the Spring bulbs and the Peonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment