Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fragrance in the Garden


At this time of the year, I find fragrances in the garden particularly noticeable and inviting - you just want to linger. The other night, I was visiting someone's garden and as I walked up to the house there was this really welcoming smell. It wasn't until I was leaving that I realised that it was coming from the Snowball Vibernum. Wow, how nice it was.

I realise that for some people with allergies and some with particularly acute sniffers, garden fragrance may be troublesome, but for me, I love it. Not only does the garden smell really fresh in the morning but fragrant flowers make the morning so much better.

If you are like me and appreciate the different fragrances, there are many plants to choose from. In the early Spring, while I find the Hyacinths overpowering (we don't include them in our garden) there are the narcissus that have different levels of fragrance. We particularly like the little Thalias and Tete-a-Tetes but others are equally pleasant. Then come the flowering trees and shrubs such as the aforementioned Hydrangeas.

The summer brings oh so many more fragrant perennials and shrubs. Have you ever noticed how nice some of the Echinacea smell? Everyone knows about Lily of the Valley, Daphne and Roses, but what about Sweet Woodruff, Summersweet (Clethra), even Wormwood (Artemesia). And then there are the 'Climbers and Twiners'.

If you like fragrant plants, there are many to choose from and if you are creative, you can have something different for each part of the growing season

No comments:

Post a Comment