Friday, June 12, 2009

Iris again

<

In a corner of the yard that receives somewhat less sun than others, a tall bearded Iris that I can't remember planting has bloomed. Given my aptitude for colours, I would describe it as a peach coloured variety. I think it is quite lovely and will make sure that the area around it is kept quite clean after it blooms to ensure that I can enjoy at again next year.

The Siberian Irises have started to bloom too. Several clumps of the standard purple variety have opened - actually two more clumps than I planted origially. I guess these guys self seed as well if you let them. Another variety 'Butter and Sugar' or 'Sugar and Butter' will bloom a little later in the season.


Have you ever noticed how much 'time in the sun' can affect when a plant will bloom. Knowledge of this effect can help you lenghten the season for one of your favourite plants. 'Butter and Sugar' gets fewer hours of full sun than do the other Siberians and as a result there are a few weeks between when it and the others open. This is true, at least I've found it to be true for many of the plants I have around the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment