Friday, June 12, 2009

Chinese Dogwood


One of the dangerous things about going on a Garden Tour is that you frequently see a plant that just knocks you out and you must get one. Several years ago, one of the gardens that we featured in the KHS Garden Tour in July had a gorgeous tree with pink blooms on it. I discovered it was a Chinese Dogwood and although I had no room for one, I made note of the tree and did a little bit of research. A year or so later, I moved a Weeping Spruce that was in the wrong place or maybe I just found a better place for it. Now there was room for the Dogwood.

A trip to John's Nursery in Waterloo and I was the proud owner of a Chinese Dogwood. Unlike the one that I had seen earlier, this one had cream coloured flowers. The tree has grown a bit in the last few years and is certainly healthy. This year it is covered with flowers.

Oddly, the Cornus Chinensis is not listed in Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs nor is it in Trevor Cole's Gardening with Trees and Shrubs in Ontario, Quebec and Northeastern US. I'll have to do a little more checking to get you some info on the tree. I have it growing in full sun in well drained soil and it has survived these last 3 years in our Canadian Zone 5b/6a quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment