Monday, April 13, 2009

Iris reticulata


The very first flower to bloom in my garden was the Iris reticulata. The cover of Patrick Lima's The Harrowsmith Perennial Garden: Flowers for Three Seasons is a photo of these little Irises peeking through the snow. Last week, prior to our last snowfall, when I went out into the garden I found some in bloom. As it was late in the day, I decided to wait until the following day to take a photo. During the night we had quite a snowfall and I thought that these little flowers would be done for but once the snow melted there they were.

Our irises produce a deep blue, almost purple coloured, flower that is really quite exquisite with its little strip of yellowish orange. Nature has a wonderful way of decking out its plants with colours that perfectly complement one another.

I can recall year's ago as I was just becoming interested in gardening, a colleague told me in April that she had some Irises blooming. I was adamant that they couldn't be Irises as Irises bloomed later in the Summer. Wrong, I discovered! What a lovely little flower to announce Spring. Now we have little clumps of these flowers throughout the Garden.

Like Patrick Lima, I keep planning to divide the clumps so that I can have even more clumps throughout the yard, but as the Summer rolls on I forget to follow up. One day perhaps. We have some planted in a small well drained rock garden while the rest are located in a bed in the middle of the backyard and come up through some very low lieing perennials.

No comments:

Post a Comment