Friday, April 3, 2009

Containers in the garage

I have loads of containers that I store in the garage over the Winter that I haul out in the Spring. In addition to the containers that are used for tender perennials and annuals, there are a bunch that have perennials in them. There are even a couple that have shrubs and trees. As temperatures start to warm up, you can see the perennials start to show that they are waking for another year. I noticed some green a couple of days ago and so it was time to take them out again. This is the earliest that I have done this.

Most of the containers are light enough that I can carry them out but a few are quite heavy and I slide them onto an old plastic toboggan - they are even too heavy to lift onto a rugged metal dolley that I have. Once outside, I water them and leave them to deal with the weather. If I know that the weather is going to plummet for a few days, I get them close to the house where they will be somewhat protected and even cover them with black plastic.

Later in the Spring, I'll divide the perennials that need dividing and repot if necessary. One of the trees I had in a container was a standard Weigelia that I planted in the garden last year as it was getting too big to be continually moving in and out of the garage. Here's hoping it survived. Another that may be given a permanent location in the border this year is a Clethra alnifolia (Summersweet). It too is beginning to outgrow the container. Both plants had been in containers for at least the past 5 years without any repotting or change of soil without ill effect. Now, what to do with the Amur Maple.

Containers that I generally plant annuals in will have the soil changed in hopes that the plants growing in the basement will be ready for Spring and will provide another good showing.

The Horticultural Society is again going to run its container contest this year with the prize being a $50 gift certificate at the Nursery of your choice. Don't forget to take advantage of the Nurseries from whom we receive discounts. So get those thinking caps on, and plan that magnificent container that is going to WOW the judges.

No comments:

Post a Comment