Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Trees with Winter Interest


In the next issue of the Horticultural Society's Newsletter, there will be an article focussing on Winter Interest gardening using some notes prepared by Kim Ball.

Yesterday, as I was crossing through the Parking lot at Freeport Hospital, heading toward the front door, I stopped to have a better look at a tree that has always been of interest to me - the American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis). It is not what I might consider to be a pretty tree in the Summer, but I find it really attractive in the Winter. The tree is much too large to be considered for the average city lot, but on the Hospital grounds, it has the perfect location. It's the bark that attracts me in the Winter. The bark is patchy, peels and as it falls off it gives the tree a rather mottled look.

Yesterday however, it wasn't the bark that caught my attention so much but the branching system. It made me think of the Internet and its connected office and home networks. You'll see what I mean when I can get a picture of the tree that I was looking at. Yesterday the sun was shining but today the snow is falling and I will have to wait for another day when I can get back to take a photo.

There are many other trees and shrubs that can add to the look of your Winter garden that are much more suitable to the average City lot. An obvious choice is the Birch. While the Paper Birch can grow quite tall, there are varieties such as the Himalayan Birch or Whitebark that are much shorter. Another tree that I quite like is the Paperbark Maple (Acer griseum). And don't forget the crabapple and dogwood varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment