Friday, July 23, 2010

Summersweet (Clethra alnifolia)


My source tells me that this shrub is "native to the eastern seabord" and its "natural habitat is moist woods". We've had the Clethra in a container for at least the last 6 or 7 years and it does very well. I dutifully drag the container after a frost into the garage for the winter where I water it lightly about once a month. I say drag because that is literally what I do. I slide it onto an old plastic toboggan that we have and drag it into the garage. The container is far too heavy to do anything else with it.

The Summersweet is in bloom as I write this and when we go out first thing in the morning, the fragrance fills the air. Some people find the fragrance a little overpowering but not I. I've found it easy to care for. It gets full sun from about noon till sundown and has been in the same container since we purchased it. It is about 5 feet high now with a spread of about 4 feet. The source suggests that it can be subject to mites especially in dry soils but we have yet to experience it.

There are several different varieties of Clethra to consider and from our experience it is well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. With frantic schedules and growing function pressures one hardly has any time for you to strategy elaborate conventional weddings. The majority of brides-to-be aren't prepared to put on the lengthy path of wholesale mother of the bride dresses behind them although they need to break the standard convention and put on some far more distinctive and individually. Casual wedding ceremony dresses are among the greatest selections of those brides. With casual casual wedding dresses attaining prominence these have opened up a entire new globe of fashionable elegant and lovely gowns and mother of the bride dresses which are dazzling but don't deflate the pocket. Now let' discover the magnificence of causal wedding ceremony gowns.

    ReplyDelete